Friday 8 August 2014

Getting Stronger...

Growing up in a tired face-me-I-face you apartment occupied by different characters from different parts of the nation surely gave me a good taste of the world of the ‘don’t haves’. It taught me a lot about low self esteem, those that predispose us to it and how we can handle it. There was always the feeling of inadequacy and a mere compliment from an outsider would simply send us skyrocketing to the high heavens. Back then, children who were privileged enough (not their faults anyway) to be born with gorgeous looking silver spoons in their mouths made us know how privileged we were to be spoken to by them and truly, we always felt privileged. I remember the wonderful young man who took interest in me and wanted me as his girl back then. He never stopped reminding me of how lucky I was to have attracted his attention. Being a university student at the time, he reminded me of how he had so many ‘chickens’ back in school but had chosen me who had nothing to offer him and so, I should be happy. Well, I was happy. I bragged about it to everyone who cared to listen. A university student had humbled or lowered himself enough to take a second look at me who had just left secondary school and didn’t even come from a ‘cash flowing’ home. Mehn, he exploited my naivety and weak esteem. Sent me on errands, talked me down in public and never accorded me any respect. Despite my ‘sharpness’ and stubbornness (was very stubborn by the way), I was always a mute when it came to this oga at the top. This went on for long enough and daily, I sunk deeper into a world of no esteem and seriously injured self worth. Well, the breakthrough came eventually but how it came about is not a talk for today. It’s my first write up here and you’re welcome on board. It’s about empowerment and building self esteem and the practical and tested methods to build a roof-shattering esteem. Here, we’ll see the beauty of arts and crafts and how it has helped and is still helping hundreds of people transform and build a high sense of worth. Also, we’ll be showcasing different crafts ranging from jewelry making to bead making, bag and shoe making, hat making, hair styling, tailoring and make-up artistry. Don’t worry; we also have a package to teaching certain procedures from time to time. Join me on this coooooool ride; it’s going to be educative, empowering and yes…fun all the way. By the way, we might have to gossip every now and then, you know what I mean *winks*.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice tweenie. I am proud of you, what your life has become and what your future holds. It is really good and inspiring to share your story and make people learn from it.love u now and always

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I can finally post a comment... and anonymously too!
    I'll just leave my 2 Kobo here, or is it 2 Naira.
    Congratulations Ife, you're headed in one direction: Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely one Ife, very lovely. God bless ur effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely one Ife, very lovely. God bless ur effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll def visit regularly.....lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete