Tuesday 2 February 2016

Lessons for the Journey: The “Girl” Entrepreneurs


Having a fulltime job and running a business, is like chasing two birds at the same time…You will never catch any! – Ibukun Awosika
     


                              
 
So, today makes it exactly 1 year, 1 month and 8 days since I last wrote anything on my blog and it’s been one very long journey.              

During this time, I have served my nation, completed service year, abandoned my drive for entrepreneurship, gotten into the corporate world, gotten a job, resigned from my job and yea… I’ve also added some weight!

During this time, I lost my wit and spunk for writing. I relaxed and settled for whatever life threw at me.

During this time, my main desire had been money I mean, it suddenly became all about making money. My reality made it seem ‘all that’, you get? It was no longer about the dream and burning desire for impacting my world. It was no longer about the unquenchable desire to transform my generation, it now became earning a living!

During this time, life happened! I joined the long list of those who had accepted their fate and lived with the policy; ‘A bird in hand is better than 10 in the bush’. The long list of those who have no love for what they do; those who have SETTLED!

During this time, I transformed from the super ‘small but mighty girl’ to the ‘regular ordinary girl’.

During this time, I gave up!

Still during this time, I decided to get up and stop whining. I decided to go back to the table to reread the visions that had been written down so I could run with it. I decided I wasn’t going to settle for less.


                                               
But now, here I am, broke!

No regular paychecks to be expected anymore. No suits and heels making those ever delicious sounds on those lovely tiles. Oh! No AC to keep my makeup ‘on fleek’ all through the day. No ‘always’ fully charged phone battery because the generator is always running.

Now, I want to start again from the scratch. I want to start relearning all those right things I have somehow unlearnt along the line. Reorganizing myself and reawakening the power I know resides in my insides.

So, here’s what I’m going to do, I’m going to start this journey by learning and following in the footprints of excellent women who have at some point toured this road before. Who have been burnt, injured, fallen and then who rose again; who today are impacting our world like never before.

Women who started out as young girls just like me, but today are dining with kings and calling the shots. Women who over the years have learnt how to excellently balance work, home, life and everything in between; whom God has blessed this generation with.

I’m going to learn from them and I’m going to follow in their steps in carving my own niche.

Now, this is a journey I don’t want to travel alone. I want to travel with you. Girls and Guys, let’s learn together. Let’s hold our hands on this journey of seizing our world. We can see their beautiful results, so why not see how they got there?

We would start with the wonderful book Madam Ibukun Awosika has blessed us with; ‘ The “Girl” Entrepreneurs.’


                                              
She talked about many successful women in Nigeria; their startups, pitfalls, challenges and how they overcame them. One at a time, we will review and discuss these women. What did they do that made them so relevant and exceptional in this generation? What exactly are the measures they took to spring forth in this Nation where many talk about a casting down? What makes them tick?

We are going to discover these secrets that have been given to us on a platter of gold and we will take practical steps in starting our individual journeys. From these women, we will learn to pick ourselves up and again become the voices of our own generation. If they did it, we can can’t we?

I have vowed to be and to do all I say. It is exactly why I quit the convenience of being money’s victim to taking charge of my destiny. This is a real journey, one I am committed to. And what bigger sacrifice than quitting what young people on the continent say is in short supply: ‘good’ job?

So, roll up your sleeves and be bold enough to get on this journey with me…

Till next post hunnies, get ready!

P.S. Special thanks to Teewaieff, she sparked this fire!

22 comments:

  1. I admire your boldness. The road you have chosen is a road worth taken. Fire on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weldone Tweenie. God's grace is sufficient for you. Great moves, great steps, make great people. (I formed it o, don't steal it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. This is ah-mazing. I just clicked now and kept reading. I know it's an introductory post but I wished it never ended. Yes, i'm joining the bus. Let's begin this journey.
    P.S: I'm so glad you came back to writing, and I'm excited that I could inspire you into doing that. Thumbs up, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are in the days of mind's revolution. Now I'm seeing people who will spark me up the more.
    Good that you are back on track

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in the days of mind's revolution. Now I'm seeing people who will spark me up the more.
    Good that you are back on track

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go girl. Great piece. You're on the right path, trust me. See you at the Top.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you so much people, Now that I know I have such great support system..I'm even more confident! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe in you
    You've always inspired me
    So yes its been a while I saw this side of you
    Keep soaring
    im right there with you on this journey
    Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ife Alonge has always been one of the few ladies I admire. You will go places my dear. Be diligent, focused and God centered. He'll illuminate your path. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen! awww @gbemi and Teemanuel, thanks so so much, God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fear of the unknown is a major cause of setback for most youths..Lack of drive caused by the economic situation of the country..you have taken the right decision..God will make it easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really identify with you dear sis. Atimes it just seem your mates are out there earn hundreds of thousands and you are struggling peanuts out of your so called business but one thing that will get us to the peak is to never give up
    Young women like us will stand together to encourage and support one another, we will never give up, we will watch each other's back till we get there. Thumbs up gurl, don't drop the pen

    ReplyDelete
  14. *earning*
    *struggling to get*

    ReplyDelete
  15. *earning*
    *struggling to get*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to have you back, Ife... just so good to have you back. Great piece by the way (greatness is what you do)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Olufemi Odeyemi, you are awesome, relentlessly spurring me to pick up my pen again, thank you so much. @folashade Idowu We have no choice than to hold her hands together and be one another's shoulders..We will pull through, see you at the top sis.@ Ojo Oluwatosin Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its scary, but we all are going to pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep the fire burning, we can make it and we WILL! It might take a while but with patience, consistency, smart work and prayers...we WILL make it. Wunmi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep the fire burning, we can make it and we WILL! It might take a while but with patience, consistency, smart work and prayers...we WILL make it. Wunmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes sis, we sure will. tnx so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  21. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Check it out here:
    blog comment

    ReplyDelete