Tuesday 1 March 2016

At the moment...

 

So this week, I got a call to be the makeup artist on the set of an online soap opera; Dawn by Tribe Nation.  As soon as the call came in and they asked me if I could do regular makeup, accident makeup and makeup for wounds, I was tempted to say a big ‘no’ because of course; i hadn’t done anything like that before. How would I take on such a big project without any form of experience; the most makeup I have done has been for brides and photo shoots with models. So, just as I was about saying “oh no, I have no experience in that area” I remembered what one of the women we have been understudying Mrs Bolanle Austen-Peters said. She said while we wait for opportunities to come, we should invest in learning, trainings and becoming experts in our art. For a very long time, I have been using up more than 2GB in 2 weeks doing nothing other than learning special effects makeup on youtube. I had learnt what to mix to produce real blood, what to use in creating wounds and swellings, so what was I talking about? I also remember the saying that when you are asked to do a project you've never done before, say yes to it first then learn how to do it later.  Oh well, yes! I was gonna take the job.

So again, bearing in mind what Madam Ibukun Awosika said, I wasn’t going to present myself as inexperienced or small, I am a brand and that was exactly how I presented myself when we were talking the terms of the contract and the fee attached to it. I negotiated my price and even though I wasn’t entirely satisfied with it, I knew it was a good bargain for a very professional ‘inexperienced’ special effects makeup artist like me.

Immediately I dropped the call, I started shivering where would I start from? So, I called my no 1 support system and narrated my story. Of course, he was quick to tell me how excellent I was going to be at it. In my mind, I was like “What is this young man saying bayi, does he even understand all I’ve said at all”? How will I even get the necessary ingredients I need on such short notice and in ile-ife too?
 
 
Anyways, the next day, I packed my bags and I was on my way to Ile-ife for a 2 weeks shoot. As soon as I got there, with my professional makeup box and signature smile, I got my script and settled down to read. I realised there were more than one bloody scene and the accident scene was going to be more detailed than I had thought. Mr capable was on ground to help me go to the market and get all the necessary ingredients I would need, that made things way easier, thanks sir!

Today is the second day on set and so far I have had to create blood for 2 scenes. I was so happy when the director and production manager on set asked me what I used in creating my blood that made it look so real. He said he was sure it wasn’t the regular tomato paste or colouring and he was right; but no, I am not telling you *tongue out*. It’s just been 2 days and I’ve started to get more confident. I decided to steal the one hour break we had just to let you all know that I have taken 2 things into practice from what we have been learning on our girl entrepreneurs and oh my, It’s been working.

I also learnt that I will be working on Alex Usifo, Akin Lewis, Jude Ororha, Bukky Thomas, Edmund Enaibe, Dayo Davies e.t.c  don’t worry, I will take pictures with this people ‘famzing things’ and I will be sure to upload the pictures on here. Thanks guys for reading, I’ve got 9 more days of shooting and yes, I’ll make sure to give you updates (even of my fails).

Till next post hunnies and hey, watch this space because something special is loading. *winks*

 
 

21 comments:

  1. Way to go dear. Well done. . . Keep it moving, you are going places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in your abilities.
    Very good way to start.
    God will take you to places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, amen! Thanks for stopping by dear, Gob bless you!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Talk of opportunity meeting preparation! Brave move you made there, I'm proud. God will bless the works of your hands ad make you surpass expectations and break records. So if I'm interested in learning make-up (both bloody and non-bloody...lool) any plans for us to get into your school? It'll be cool to learn from you...
    Let's know how it all goes. And especially look for Jenifa and FalzTheBadGuy, maybe you can make-up for their English too. Looool. All the best dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You youre already in d school na...is it nt all d makeup you already knw ni...tnx boss.

      Delete
  4. Nice one dear, keep pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my first time on ur blog and as usual I am proud. I wish u all the best. Ife u r one of a kind and even if we don't really keep up again, u are one person I will never forget. When I look at my brand and how far I have come I give God the glory and always say a word of prayer for u, because u inspired me, that one year we spent together at E103 changed my life, u imparted me positively, so many survival skills of an entrepreneur I have now I owe to u. God bless u ife. Love u always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay!yaay! Yaay! Its soooo good to hear frm u my beautiful roomie and im so glad wt ds testimony i hear...all glory to God. Please lets keep in touch, we sure need to talk. Ill chat u up on facebook...tnx so much for stopping by my darling...

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaaaaaay!!!!!!! go! Go! Go Ife.... Thatz my no. 1 make up bae. OMG.. soo happy for you. BTW I've got something for you (smiles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay! Now dats my mama...always looking out for the best for me. Tnx maam, and hey...my ears re wide open and mind at alert for dat special something you have for me oo. Tnx maam, ur continuous encouragemnt keep me going...love u maam.

      Delete
  8. Wow. This is massive. Well done dear. And keep soaring. Waiting for the remaining gists o and all d 'famzing' pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanx a bunch sis. Trust me, u wee see d plenty plenty pishures..

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADEBOLA ODUBITAN.8 March 2016 at 05:37

    Falongcy dear!!! I'm proud of you. This is just the beginning. Spot On!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful yet STRONG AND COURAGEOUS.. True definition and of a WOMAN! I celebrate you always dearie.. Greater height... I fink i need to enroll������

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol... you know you are as awesome sis. tnx so much dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am proud.....no fancy words.
    I am proud.....not surprised....but proud and inspired even.
    May you continue to blaze trails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!!! thanks so much maami, e ma pe fun wa. and may God continue to lift you higher too. everytime you stop by on here, my heart is filled with joy, so grateful I learnt this skill from you.

      Delete